Hickeys, also known as love bites or kiss marks, are bruises caused by suction on the skin. They are usually caused by intense kissing or sucking on the skin, which causes small blood vessels to break and leak into the surrounding tissue.
Hickeys are usually not harmful, but they can be embarrassing and difficult to hide. Fortunately, there are several ways to get rid of hickeys quickly.
- Cold compress – Applying a cold compress to the hickey can help reduce swelling and minimize the appearance of the bruise. Wrap an ice pack or a bag of frozen vegetables in a towel and apply it to the hickey for 10 to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Warm compress – After the first day or so, switch to a warm compress to help improve blood flow and speed up the healing process. Dip a washcloth in warm water and wring it out, then apply it to the hickey for 10 to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Massage – Gently massaging the hickey can help break up the blood clots and speed up the healing process. Use your fingers to gently rub the hickey in a circular motion, starting from the center and working your way outwards.
- Vitamin K cream – Vitamin K cream can help reduce the appearance of bruises and promote healing. Apply a small amount of vitamin K cream to the hickey several times a day, and massage it into the skin.
- Arnica – Arnica is a natural remedy that can help reduce swelling and promote healing. Apply arnica cream or gel to the hickey several times a day, and massage it into the skin.
- Makeup – If you need to cover up a hickey, use a green-tinted color corrector to neutralize the redness, and then apply a concealer that matches your skin tone. Blend the edges carefully to avoid a noticeable line.
- Prevention – The best way to get rid of hickeys is to prevent them in the first place. Communicate with your partner about what you are comfortable with and set boundaries before things get too heated. If you do end up with a hickey, try not to let it bother you too much. Remember, it will fade over time.
In conclusion, hickeys can be embarrassing and difficult to hide, but there are several ways to get rid of them quickly. Try applying a cold or warm compress, massaging the hickey, using vitamin K cream or arnica, or using makeup to cover it up.
And don’t forget, the best way to get rid of hickeys is to prevent them in the first place.